The one television series that’s at the centre of attention is ‘Th1rteen R3asons Why’. It is an American drama-mystery web television series based on the 2007 novel Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. If you are not familiar with the plot, it is about a girl named Hannah Baker who is a high school student and who commits suicide after facing a series of unfortunate circumstances. She leaves behind 13 audio cassettes mentioning the events and the people that led her to that extreme decision. If you haven’t watched the series yet and are in a dilemma if it’s worth your time or not, let me give you 13 reasons to watch 13 Reasons Why.
1. The Casting: The lead roles are played by Dylan Minnette and Katherine Langford. Dylan Minnette plays the role of a high school boy Clay Jensen and Katherine Langford plays the role of a high school student Hannah Baker. Their acting for their respective roles is nothing short of spectacular. Not just with words but with their every expression the cast will make you feel what they are feeling. Moreover, the casting for other roles is exceptional too.
2. The Transition: The series runs on two timelines; the past and the present. And the transition between the timelines is as swift as a knife cutting through a red velvet cake. It is interesting to watch how wonderfully they have showed the way events of the past and the present interconnect.
3. Mental Health Awareness: It is a taboo in our society to openly talk about depression (widely stating mental health) or even to accept that someone is going through the same. This series shows openly how it feels to go through depression and it is important to have knowledge of it. Hence, it has to be in our List of 13 Reasons To Watch 13 Reasons Why.
4. The Role Of Parents: The role of parents in children’s life is very important. It is vital for them to have knowledge of depression and be aware if their children show the signs of depression. So that they can take further necessary steps. Therefore, every parent should not miss out watching this series.
5. Friendship: This series presents excellently how the friendships are built and destroyed by the smallest acts. And how essential it is in life to have good friends. First, be a good friend yourself. Watch this series with your friends and learn what to do and what not to do.
6. Kindness: The lead roles Hannah Baker had to face a series of unkind events which drove her to take her own life. If nothing, this series teaches us that how our unkind actions may drastically impact someone else. Be kind; the world needs more of it.
7. Ask For Help: As strong as we all are; the greatest of all strengths is in asking for help when needed. And if need be, ask for professional help. There is nothing wrong with it and people need to get it straight in their heads. And most importantly, help yourself. An important reason of our 13 Reasons To Watch 13 Reasons Why.
8. Consent: An absence of consent for having sex is as loud as a ‘No’. Get it straight. And when an unfortunate event happens; step up. Towards the end this series shows that there is no shame in pointing out and taking action against those who did you wrong. It is important to step up because you might be helping someone else too. Step up and Speak up.
9. Communication: This series shows the pros and cons of high school communication. Sometimes communication takes form of gossip and humours and it might leave an everlasting impact on someone. Stop them from spreading. And more importantly, communicate in a way that might help someone through their problems because at the end of the day we are all humans craving for human interaction.
10. Bullying and The Role Of School: Many times bullying takes place at schools and sometimes the consequences are irreversible. The role of school for this should be to pay close attention to bullying and make stringent rules and counter actions for any such acts. Also, the victim and the complaints of bullying should be taken more seriously.
11. Human Nature: We have all created a society where we take pleasure from someone else’s pain. There is nothing more saddening than the sadistic Human Nature. This series wonderfully presents why it is important to feel empathy more than any other human emotion.
12. Taking Responsibility: Take responsibility of your own actions. We are all humans and we all make mistakes. But what’s really wrong is not taking the responsibility of our own actions. Or even worse; blaming it on others. Don’t do that. Have the courage to face the consequences of your own actions.
13. Criticism (The Suicide): The series has been criticised by a few critics for some fair reasons. It shows a graphic suicide of a high school girl. Watch it to know that if that’s how the series ended, doesn’t mean that’s how it should have ended. And know that suicide might not be an act of cowardice but it also is not the last resort. There is much more to life, so keep fighting and ask for help when needed. Stay brave, little fighter. One of the very important reason of the 13 Reasons To Watch 13 Reasons Why.
This was our List of 13 Reasons To Watch 13 Reasons Why. Drop your views on the series and our List of 13 Reasons To Watch 13 Reasons Why in the comments section below.