There Is An Internet Behind Internet And You Didn’t Know About It

Imagine a place where you could buy a kilo of Marijuana or buy illegal Guns, have someone killed or get a fake identity. In simple language “Do anything that is illegal“.

No, I am not kidding. The Online world is nothing less than a Pandora Box.

So what is this Dark web? Sounds like a spy movie, doesn’t It?

This is a term that is used to describe a collection of websites that are visible but masterfully hidden from us ( Not anymore ). Identities and locations of darknet users stay anonymous and cannot be tracked due to the layered encryption system. The darknet encryption technology routes users data through a large number of intermediate servers, which protects the user’s identity and guarantees anonymity which makes it difficult or you can say impossible to identify who’s running the show.

Wait. Don’t be in a hurry to check out these websites for yourself. Why Not? Because these websites can’t be accessed via your standard browsers like Chrome and Firefox. There will be some who’ll say Google is the answer. Bad news, as these websites are not indexed by these famous search engines. No, not even on Yahoo. Now what?

How Does It Work?

Most of these Dark Web website uses a special encryption tool called TOR. The Tor dark web may be referred to as onionland, a reference to the network’s top-level domain suffix .onion and the traffic anonymization technique of onion routing. .TOR or Onion routing is a free software which was developed by United States Naval research lab for anonymous communication. Well oops, Mr. State. Today it’s used to commit cyber crime and various forms of illegal activity and according to some sources, it’s been a boon for terrorist. Fun just got terrorized.

internet behind internet

The Internet we know of was built by United States federal government for the purpose of fault-tolerant communication via computer network has now around 7-8 million websites from all over the world which are on an increase on daily basis. But what made my eyes pop out are the fact that the famous portal like Facebook, Twitter, Amazon and any other pages which use HTTPS only contribute to around 4% of the total traffic. These websites are just the “Surface Web“. The rest of 96% of this digital world is in “Deep Web“. It’s like  Australia is the only land mass in the world and the rest of the mass is underwater. So you can see why is it so difficult to track back the owner of such dark web websites.

How many of you know about Silk road? No not the great ancient one. No clue? Well, Silk road was one of the modern-day black market which was used to purchase and sell recreational drugs. It used a similar I2P (Invisible Internet Project) service and was the Alpha of the Deep web Black market. Not all website use .tor domain. While Tor focuses on providing anonymous access to the Internet, I2P specializes in allowing anonymous hosting of websites. Back to the story, It caused a lot of heat and eventually the owner of Silk Road 1.0  Ross William Ulbricht a.k.a Dread Pirate Roberts was caught in October 2013 by F.B.I, Silknet 2.0 was shut down by F.B.I and Europop on 6 November 2014 and Silknet 3.0 is still Online (Shsss)

internet behind internet

While through my research I came across a number of websites which offers Money Laundering, selling and purchasing illegal Guns, Marijuana, Hashish, Seeds, Chemical drugs, and even creating a fake identity (Call me Bond, James Bond). This all begs the question is how do you make the payment? In Deep Web, you don’t use your regular credit debit card ( You’ll be caught, Duh). The answer to the problem is “BITCOINS”. A virtual currency developed keeping anonymity in mind. The ideal currency for illegal activities which does not comes with any kind of bank or government judiciary. Bitcoins can be exchanged for real-time cash and problem solved.

Cybercrime has become the new Underworld market and Deep Web provides the perfect platform for obscurity and anonymity to these cyber criminals to operate. It gives them an edge over law and for a country like India where there are no firm rules to counterpart these activities has been a boon for Cyber criminals. Cybercrime has increased over 19 times in past 10 years (2005 to 2015) from 481 in 2005 to 9,662 and there was an increase of about 20% in 2016. (Source: NCRB Data). The Global Cost of the cyber crime was estimated $375 Billion (RS 2,512,500 crore) and $575 Billion (Rs 3,852,500 crore) in 2014, according to World Bank 2016 Report.

Deep web And Dark web are the dark caves Of Digital World one mustn’t travel and neither this article endorses or encourages you to start taking part in any kind of illegal activity. Though Bond. James Bond sound nice. Chao.

Drop Your Views in The Comments Below.

Comments

comments